A couple of weeks ago I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I'm going to be the recipient of a scholarship at USM. Today, I gave a short speech to the Business Advisory Counsel. I'm not an especially great or terrible speaker, but I think you can tell mid-speech that I'm nervous. Anyway, I was so relieved to get my little speech over with this afternoon and I think I did a pretty good job! I sat next to a director of their MBA program and it really got me thinking about the possibility of going to school online or maybe one night a week to get my masters. Definitely something to think about!
We went to eat at Chili's tonight and it was delicious! I was so surprised at how well Caroline acted during dinner. She has gotten to be quite a handful lately because she wants to eat from the minute we sit down to the minute we get up! I usually can't even take a bite of my food without her yelling. Well tonight this was not the case! She played with the kids menu and didn't yell for food once! I kind of struggle with whether or not I should let her get away with things right now. Part of me thinks she's too young to understand patience but the other part of me thinks that I need to teach her things now so she doesn't get used to being bad or demanding. Our other problem is standing up in chairs or the grocery cart. I guess we're getting to that age where you just have to not eat out as much & not take her shopping. : / Thoughts? Should I be firm with her and let her pitch a fit in public or should I give in?
Speaking of shopping, look at these adorable sandals I got for Caroline! Yay for summer!
When I put the flower sandals on her feet to try out the size and took them off again she started crying. The girl likes her some shoes, ok!?
Blurs and Monsters
8 years ago



3 comments:
Aubrey went through that stage of standing in highchairs and grocery carts when she was about Caroline's age. It was so annoying, but we just kept going out to eat, and she eventually got over it and does fine now. I, personally, don't think it's ever a good idea to give into a fit, even though I know it's SO tempting when you are out in public. I think when you do that, you're just creating more work down the road. It's so hard to know how to discipline a toddler, though, and I'm certainly still learning too! :-)
Congrats on the scholarship!
Ok, so I think rules should be rules no matter where you are. So, no standing in the high chair at home=no standing in the high chair at a restaurant. Don't give in to fits, but I am with you, it is hard when you are in public. Plus, you don't want to bother the other people in the restaurant! So, when we are somewhere else, I might try to distract them with something else=maybe a toy or something new to play with or my husband or I would take them for a walk in the lobby area or outside the restaurant. But you shouldn't give in.
Stand firm! Parenting is sooooo fun sometimes, eh?! ;)
But honestly, after a couple of kids, I think we just gave up on restaurants. It seemed like an awful, horrible waste of time and money. Ha! :)
I LOVE the sandals! Good luck with the Caroline ... That's the part that scared me about having children.
Also, congratulations on the scholarship. So exciting for you!
Post a Comment