Thursday, May 13, 2010

4 Months Old

Baby Caroline turned 4 months old last Friday. I am LOVING this age. I've always heard that 3 months is when they really start to get fun, but 4 months seemed to be the big turning point for us. All of a sudden she is so aware of everything and she is "talking" up a storm. My mom calls it moon talk! =)

She is holding her head up like a champ now. When we put her in her bouncy seat, most of the time she won't lay her head back. This weekend we pulled down the exersaucer from the attic and she really seems to like it!

Last Friday my sister-in-law and her family came to stay with us. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling well on Friday so I know I wasn't much fun...but I was glad they were there anyway! Saturday morning she had a new baby to photograph and before she left she grabbed  a few pictures of my little angel. I am always amazed at her talent! You can check out her website here if you're interested!



Caroline seems to be responding to this antibiotic well and the steroid has almost completely cleared up her cough. We are sitting her up when she takes her bottle in hopes that will help too. I have told her daycare probably 4 or 5 times that she needs to be sitting UP when taking a bottle and yesterday when I pulled up the webcam to check on her, she was being cradled in the lady's arms taking a bottle. I hesitated for oh about 2 seconds and then called them. The owner answered and I asked her if she wouldn't mind making sure that Caroline is up right while eating because of her ear infections. I apologized several times... I don't know why I feel bad for complaining to them especially when I've asked them so many times about this. They were very nice and sat her up right away. After I got off the phone my coworker (who also has a 4 month old named Caroline) said "hey, why were you apologizing to them?" and I lost it. Well, I guess I didn't lose it as much as tear up and almost lose it! It is just such a terrible feeling to be so out of control of your own child!!! My coworker did a good job w/ reassuring me that he and his wife call the daycare alllll the time so they are probably used to it. =)

This morning we went for her 4 month shots... it was much easier for me than last time. (Still not fun though!) She weighs 13 lbs 11 oz and is two feet long! She is in the 75th percentile for height and 50th for weight. She currently takes five bottles a day (sometimes 5 ounces and sometimes 6) and we're thinking about seeing if we can make that 4 bottles a day. Maybe we'll try this weekend. She has just recently outgrown her 0-3 month clothes but most of her 3-6 month clothes are big. Dr. Stanford said by her 6 month checkup she will be making raspberries and maybe trying to sit up unassisted! I cannot imagine her doing these things!!


We saw a different doctor 2 weeks ago when we went in for her ear infection and that doctor recommended that I wait as long as possible for baby food. She also said she would probably just put cereal in the bottle at first. Today our regular doctor saw her and seemed to be pushing us to go ahead and give her food... and start with a spoon! Yeesh... I guess every doctor is different - even in the same practice! The other doctor had me considering waiting until 6 months and this doctor made it seem like we should try now. I may just compromise and start at 5 months. I'm sure I'm over analyzing things here, but the first doc said that feeding them food too early can cause allergies to manifest early if their systems aren't ready for it - especially if you have a family history with allergies... which we do. For those of you with children, when did you start feeding them cereal and did you give it to them in a bottle or with a spoon?

6 comments:

Carrie said...

She is SO big and so incredibly cute!! That must be hard to be out of control of the way your child is cared for during the day, but you definitely shouldn't feel bad for making sure she is being cared for properly. That means you are a good mama -- you're making sure Caroline is healthy and happy! :)

We started Aubrey on cereal at 4 moths with a spoon because that's what our pediatrician recommended. It was probably closer to 6 months before she actually started swallowing the cereal though! I think the first few months were more to get her used to taking something from a spoon -- not for any kind of nourishment. We waited until 6 months to give her any fruits/veggies. It's hard to know who to listen to!

Anonymous said...

I have heard as early as 4 months, but that it is best to wait until 6 months because of the whole allergies thing.

I dislike feeding little babies rice cereal (so messy! :)) So I was always fine with waiting! She is very cute and I agree . . . 4 months is the best!

Amy said...

We started adding cereal to a bottle at 4 mos, then started them on baby food around 6 mos, I think. It's funny how you can forget these things. :)

So glad her cough is clearing up. I hated to hear her like that, so I KNOW y'all have had a hard time not being able to do anything about it.

No worries on calling the daycare. You PAY them to take the best care of your little girl.

Unknown said...

I love how she smiles when u talk to her! She gets cuter and cuter every day! You look so pretty too! I love the 4 month pictures.

I'm Erin. said...

We fed our oldest starting at 5 months, because she would watch us eat and mimic our chewing movements. She just seemed ready.
Our son did not seem interested at all, and was showing some signs of allergies, so we delayed with him. Turns out he does have food allergies, and he's always been slow with picking up new foods.

I was anxious to start with our oldest, and then realized that it's a messy pain. Maybe better off waiting a bit if she's happy and sleeping well.
Good luck!

Becca said...

Hey again! We use Dr. Stanford as well and he told us to go ahead and let Reid eat the 1st foods. Reid loves it and we don't have a history of any food allergies so I wasn't hesitant. I started putting a little rice cereal in his bottles at 3 weeks of age b/c he was hungry ALL the time, and Dr. Stanford said that was okay too as long as he didn't get constipated. Made a world of difference for us. Reid was 17 lbs at his 4 month check-up and in the 90th percentile for height and weight.... maybe because of all that rice cereal early on?!